Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Photo Contest: 1962 Triumph 3TA 350


It's About Time
by Ron Spargo - Victoria, MN

I think we have all experienced sellers remorse at least once, especially when selling a motorcycle.

My first time (yes, it has happened more than once), was when I was only 18 years old. The motorcycle was a 1962 Triumph 3TA. It was a 350cc twin and a sweet ride it was. Light silver blue with large skirted fenders. It was my first real motorcycle after several well used and abused scooters and mopeds. It took me places I could only dream about going before and brought me home as well. I sold that bike in 1964 to help pay for school. As soon as I put the money in my pocket I knew I had made a mistake, but the bike was gone. During the next 45 years I owned almost 50 motorcycles and cars but never stopped looking for another 3TA just like the one I had sold.

This past August after selling a couple of bikes (no remorse), I started looking for another 3TA. I found one in Texas but it was pretty rough and way too expensive. One or two more surfaced but they too were more of a project and were too expensive. I finally found one on the Internet and tracked it from the UK, all the way through a couple owners to the present owner in Southern California. A call to the owner found that the bike was for sale. He had bought it for his wife but she wanted something newer with electric start.

I used some of my wife's frequent flyer miles and flew out to see my potential purchase. After a detailed inspection of the bike I opened the petcock, tickled the old Amal monoblock, turned on the key and gave it a good kick. It started on the first try. The idle was smooth and it made all the right sounds I remembered from 45 years ago. The deal was done!

I had the bike shipped door to door, as it was far less expensive than going to get it. It only took 4 weeks and 4 days to get the bike, here but it seemed like 4 months.

The day the bike arrived I had my jacket and helmet on as soon as I signed the delivery ticket. Again, a one-kick start and I was off for a ride down memory lane.

My wife, Kath, insists that all of our vehicles have names. She says that they listen better when we talk to them. So far, all of our cars, trucks and bikes have had male names. The new 3TA, however, has a female name.

Kath says that since she is just a little smaller than my other bikes, is light silver blue, wears a skirt and I have been waiting 45 years for her to get here, her name must be Patience.

Welcome home, Patience. It's about time!



Editor's note:

Ron submitted this great story along with his photo submission to The Motor Bookstore's Photo Contest. The photo is proudly displayed alongside the Triumph Twin Restoration: All Pre-1972 Production Triumph Twins, by Roy Bacon.

No comments:

Post a Comment